Amazon.com Widgets


  Home | Fiction | Non-fiction | Personal |Facebook |Twitter |Blog | E-Mail
Joe DeRouen, Author of the Small Things trilogy: Simpatico with My Words

Friday, August 21, 2009

Simpatico with My Words

simpatico

PRONUNCIATION:
(sim-PAH-ti-ko, -PAT-i-)

MEANING:
adjective:
1. Like-minded; compatible.
2. Congenial; likable.

That's the word of the day. Well, one of several words of the day, actually. I subscribe to at least three different WotD e-mail lists: Wordsmith.org, Dictionary.com, and Visual Thesaurus. I saw "at least three" because I think there are more, but that's all I can find at the moment. Simpaticio, my favorite of the three words for today, is from Wordsmith.

I save these. I have WotD's stored in various e-mail archives, going back to 2001. Why do I save them? I guess I'm convinced that, some day, when I really need the perfect word, I'll be able to search through my e-mail and find it. Hasn't happened yet, but all it would take is just once to make all that archiving worthwhile. Right?

Or maybe I save them just because I love words. Simpatico, oblation, stultify, incongruous, euphoric, luau, azimuth, frangible, foundling, ragamuffin, attendee, tarradiddle and Kafkaesque. That's just a small sampling of the words sitting in my inbox, and reading them now makes me happy. Even if I never actually use them in one of my novels or articles.

It was stultifyingly hot at the luau, thought the ragamuffin, her long pants and thick wool sweater incongruous with the short skirts and loud Hawaiian shirts worn by the other attendees around her.

I guess I'm just feeling simpatico with my words. And now I'm off to search out more WotD lists. Because, you know, three really isn't enough. And who knows? Maybe I'll find inspiration to finally complete that third novel. That would leave me feeling euphoric indeed. And that's no tarradiddle!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home